Monday, July 16, 2012

Are you a Foodie???

Have you ever felt like the cat that swallowed the canary?  That's how I feel about working for a company that is passionate about food! 


I am thrilled that I get to share recipe ideas around the water cooler, and it's even highly acceptable to darken the doorway of the VP's with tales of last night's dinner party... I'm pretty much in Heaven.  Between the freshly baked scones, to the gourmet Olive Oils and Aged Balsamic Vinegars, to the Panetone, to the BBQ Sauces, to the Ice Creams, to the Freshly Cooked Turkeys right out of the oven.... I can't wait to come into work to see what delights are around the corner each day :) 

(Not to mention "Confectionary Corner", where all the vendor samples go to die!)


WHY am I writing about this???

Well.... I guess it's because even the most basic food lover still needs nourishment... they need to put food in their mouths, and we make choices every day on what that mix will be.  SO WHY.... when I ask in an interview... "what is your favorite food??"  IS IT SOOOOO HARD TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION? 

Let's play a little pre-interview game. 

Finish the following sentances with the most common answer:
  • I work at Style at Home Magazine because I'm passionate about __________________.
  • I work at Wrigleys and I love ____________________.
  • I work at Louis Vuitton and I carry my money around in a ___________________.
  • I work at Apple, and I phone people on my ________________________.
  • I work at Tim Hortons and I drink ____________________.

When going on an interview with these companies or any others.....
  • If you are going to an interview at Apple, you best not bring out your Blackberry in the middle of the interview.
  • If you don't know the first thing about DIY, and don't care about what the "in" colours are this season.... you best not expect to NAIL the Style at Home Magazine interview... even if you are in Finance. 
  • If you go to an interview at Tim Hortons, please GOD don't stroll in with your half finished Starbucks drink!?!?
  • If you go to an interview at Louis Vuitton... save your money for the employee discount ;)  but obviously... if you have a real Louis Vuitton bag... bring it out of the vault!
  • If you are going to an interview at Wrigleys ......... spit your gum out before the interview... but you get my point!

LESSON?
Come prepared to talk about what the folks in that business are generally known to be passionate about.  You may be interviewing for a role which doesn't require you to be a FOODIE, or whatever the company's IT topic is, but you may be sitting across the table from someone who is.  This may be the icing on the cake (sorry - couldn't resist another food reference) when you are being compared to similar skilled candidates.  It's another form of being prepared for your interview. 

(as I now work at Sobeys),  I always suggest that candidates spend some time walking the stores so they can get a sense of the current business model, products, and try some of the private label food (or at least familiarize themselves with it). 

Whether it's a retail store, or a google search... spend some time getting to know your future employer, so you can relate to the employees you meet on topics that matter to them.

When in Rome......
...try the pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment