Sunday, February 20, 2011

Success!!!

After having dinner with a good friend of mine, this weekend, I have to say, I am encouraged that this blog was a good idea!!

She shared with me that she has been reading this blog recently, while also undertaking a job search of her own.  She directly reached out to an HR contact on LinkedIn, who worked at a company she wanted to work at.

She joined a group that this person was in, and then messaged this HR Manager directly, saying something along the lines of:

" Dear _______, 
I have been looking at your company's website, but haven't seen anything that matches my experience and background.  I am interested in working at (insert company name here), and hope you don't mind me reaching out to you directly, in case you may know of an opportunity which is a fit for my experience within your business. 
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you, 
(insert your name here)
(insert your contact info here)"


This kind of a personal note - (yes... you have to make it your own and NOT copy and paste my note....) - really appeals to the HR Managers, as it's not pushy, but direct, and it allows them to have more access to people who are interested in working for their business.  Even if they don't get back to you... what can it hurt?

My friend got a call back, and is getting an interview this week!!! :)  
Hopefully you have some success too, and please feel free to share any ideas you have on here as comments... 

No comments:

Post a Comment