Sunday, February 6, 2011

Take it personally!

A few years ago, my good friend Pete decided to go about resume distribution the “old fashioned way”… He set out on the streets, with a fistful of resumes, and a bag of tricks... AKA root vegetables?  At each location he’d leave a resume and a root vegetable (turnip, carrot, potato, etc.)


When I asked him,  “how did that go over?!” 
He responded,  “I got two callbacks, and one interview!”

I can only imagine the look on the hiring manager’s face when receiving a parsnip with a resume attached.  :)



for any of you hiring managers who like Peter’s creativity, I'd be happy to send you his resume :)



One of the most common topics of complaint I hear as a recruiter is that the internet application process is SO impersonal!   


"How do I differentiate myself from my competition on paper?!"

… Clearly I am not suggesting you submit a vegetable with your resume, or pink scented resumes (like Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde).  :)


BUT - If you do the same thing as everyone else, the same way as thousands of job seekers, you are going to fade into the masses. We all need to think a little more creatively about how to get our information out there in this day and age.



Personally I love the fact that Peter took the initiative to do something different; it shows that he thinks outside the box, that he’s creative, is a bit of a risk taker, and is confident.  These are qualities that are   typically desirable,  that are also difficult to demonstrate on paper. 


(I’ll give you more information about how to get your personality across on paper - soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment