Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What NOT to do - when sending online applications

Another close friend of mine confided that when he graduated from University, he sent out hundreds (to the tune of 800+) web applications to any and every job he saw online. 

When I asked him “how did that go over?!”
He responded “I didn’t get one interview, and I received one scolding email from someone asking me if I had even read the job description!  I think it was for a CEO position (smug grin)”

This is something that a lot of people think is totally acceptable; the theory of “throwing spaghetti against the wall and hoping some sticks”.  I strongly disagree, as would most other good recruiters out there.   Be selective about the opportunities you apply for, ensure you are somewhat qualified for the roles, and also tailor your information to suit the requirements of the role.  If you have multiple skill sets (i.e. sales and also production), ensure you have a resume focused on each, and submit accordingly.  It’s not lying, but instead, giving your reader / interviewer the information which they are most interested in, before they find out all the goodness you bring to their team / organization!

Remember - Differentiate yourself from the thousands of other people out there!!!

1 comment:

  1. A FRIEND WROTE ME TODAY ABOUT THIS POST:
    One of the best pieces of advice I received was to, in general, only submit applications for roles for which I was at least 70% qualified. If I was at least 70% qualified and interested, I applied. If I wasn't at 70%, then I asked myself if it was a "dream job" worth the risk of likely rejection. if it was, then I applied. If itr wasn't, I didn't. Lo & behold, I got some call-backs from those "dream job" submissions, and although none of them is ultimately where I landed for now, I still think it's great guidance for making the decision about whether to apply for a position or not.

    ReplyDelete